Monday, July 11, 2011

The Taxi Driver Season

I have always been amazed at how different Dylan and Drew are from each other. They are raised in the same house, by the same parents, and they are best friends, yet they could not possibly be any more different from each other. Dylan is a true first-born, type A personality. He likes things very organized and he analyzes almost everything.

Drew is care-free, he doesn't get bothered by things being disorderly, and that boy is extremely coordinated. He has been climbing, doing flips, hand-stands, and everything else for as long as I can remember.

So, when Living Social came out with two deals within the same week of each other, I could not pass up the opportunity to give Dylan and Drew a little exposure to some things that we thought would be right up their alley.

Dylan had his first piano lesson today!!  I was so proud of him. He listened very intently and I could tell he was processing and storing every single thing his teacher was telling him. He learned all of the keys and he practiced a few different drills(?). His lesson went so well that his teacher accidently went ahead of the first lesson because he transitioned so smoothly. Monica, his teacher, told me that when she asked him if he had any instruments to practice on at home, he told her he had some Paper Jams! Haha, I don't think that is the kind she was referring to . So funny. Monica also told me that Dylan is a quick learner and I couldn't agree more.


Sarah has a new obsession with our sunscreen stick. She found it during Dylan's lesson and was putting it all over Drew and I. I need to start hiding it from her because once she has it in her hands, there is NO taking it away from her.


 Drew had his first gymnastics lesson today. He thrived. He had two young men for his coaches and I was thankful for that.  His coaches told me that he was very strong, and again this came as no surprise to me. He has incredible upper-body strength. I know he enjoyed himself and I am thankful that he is getting an opportunity to do well at something without being the "little brother."



Drew told me that his teacher asked him what his last name was and he said, "I don't know".  I laughed and said , "why did you say that? you know what your last name is." He proceeded to tell me, "no, I don't, I don't know what my last name is. Is it Simon?"  "No silly, that is your middle name!"  Again, he is carefree and not very attentive to details, you know, like his full name:).

The classes are on the same day, within the same one and a half hour time frame, and they are about five miles from eachother. That's good because it's one day of the week and we are done with it, and I only have to drive into SA once for both classes, but it's not good, because I bounce back and forth like a crazy person getting irritated with all the traffic that is everywhere! Sarah is my little buddy and I am so thankful to have her with me at all times. I can imagine it would probably be sad if we were completely out of the baby season.  I teared up a little on the way home because it was just so much fun, and I can see how it's going to fly by so fast. I know one day, I will be reminiscing about today and Dylan's "first piano lesson, " and Drew's "first gymnastics class." Ahh. Bittersweet. I can't wait to soak up every minute of it and I am thankful for a comfy drivers seat in my car. (I will say though, it will be pretty cool when Sarah can get in and out of the car on her own. That girl is HEAVY!! )

One last funny story. On the way home, I stopped at the gas station and told the boys they could go in and get 3 ring pops, one for each of them.  I gave them two dollars and figured that would be plenty. They came out a few minutes later with 3 ring pops and no change. I asked for the change when at about that moment a nice man walked out and said, "don't worry, they don't owe anything else."

"They didn't have enough money??"

" I got it for them, " he said.

What?? I thought ring-pops were like 25 cents. When did they get so expensive? I felt like my grandpa saying, "when I was a kid, we could go to the gas station and get blah blah blah for a nickel."
So I told the boys I couldn't believe that wasn't enough money to which Dylan responded with this..."Well next time, I guess you are just going to have to give us a twenty."

I love my life.

**edited to add...We enjoyed our month long trial of classes with the boys, BUT we are holding off for a while on that "Taxi Season." I'm thankful that we do not have to be rushed into it because it was TIRING!! Dear Dylan and Drew, quit growing up:).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are a treat! Thank for stopping by:).