Friday, December 9, 2011

Be Still December

In a world where at the touch of a few buttons, I can have accessible to me information overload, entertainment, and a constant stream of noise through my head, I struggle with being still. Being a stay at home, homeschooling mom is such a joy to me, but I wonder if I could give my kids more. In fact, I know I could do better by them as we are home together everyday all day, and I think I start to take my time with them for granted. I find myself struggling to sit still for 20 minutes while the boys read to me. I get restless and I battle my arms as they reach for something else to do to keep busy. I find myself cleaning, dusting, and reorganizing as I teach them. I stand in the kitchen and do dishes or cook while they sit at the table and work on lessons and I get frazzled by repeated questions. I know some of this is normal and healthy but sometimes I just want to yell at myself..."STOP!!" I went to an internship at Ambleside one time and I had the priveladge of sitting through a few classes in session. The picture of one teacher in particular sticks with me all the time. She just kind of at rolled through the classroom giving each student her undivided attention for bits and pieces of time while they worked through their lessons. She encouraged, watched, and listened. They responded well and it was anvils there was a mutual respect for one another. I want to do that. I want to carve out windows of time where engaging with my kids is my only agenda. I want to be still with my God and hear from Him throughout the day. I want to give my husband my undivided attention. So for this reason, I am taking a break from technology for the rest of this month. I need to remember how to be still. See you next year...maybe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are a treat! Thank for stopping by:).